Veterinary Technician Internship
To be considered for the veterinary technician internship program, please send all following information to:
John G. Shedd Aquarium
Veterinary Technician Internship Program
Attn: Bridget Thornton
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
Internship Title: Veterinary Technician Internship
Internship Department: Animal Health
The internship program at Shedd Aquarium offers exposure to veterinary support of a large and diverse collection of fishes, marine mammals, amphibians, reptiles, birds, nonmarine mammals and invertebrates. Students work closely with the veterinary staff (including three veterinarians, a veterinary resident, five veterinary technicians, staff microbiologist and water-quality personnel). Responsibilities are assigned based on each student’s level of interest and aptitude.
Please note that student housing and stipends are not available. Some students have been able to arrange boarding accommodations with Shedd employees, but this is uncommon.
Public transportation allows for fairly inexpensive and easy commuting to the aquarium. Parking is available with daily discounted passes or monthly passes.
• Enrollment or graduation from a veterinary technician program.
• Eight- to 10-week time commitment (five days weekly, eight hours a day)
• Weekend availability may be required as weekly schedules often include one weekend day.
• Student must provide vaccination history.
• Letter of intent
• Resume or curriculum vitae