Shedd Adventures 2013
Costa Rica (January 26 to February 5)
A nature lover’s paradise
This 12-day expedition includes whale-watching at Dominical, on Costa Rica’s Pacific coast, a boat trip to Caño Island for snorkeling or scuba diving, then up into the mountains to see volcano Arenal and the lush, bird-filled Monteverde cloud forest. Return to the coast to visit Guanacaste and a sea turtle nesting beach.
Download the journey brochure for full details.
Jan. 26 — Fly from Chicago to San Jose.
Jan. 27-29— Boat, snorkel and swim.
Jan. 30-31— Hike, raft or take a canopy tour. Swim and soak in hot springs.
Feb. 1-2 — Explore a cloud forest from new heights on a canopy tour, or hike to see the flora and fauna of the forest floor.
Sunday, Feb, 3-4 — Enjoy a four-hour scenic drive to Guanacaste at Langosta Beach. Swim and snorkel, then search for sea turtles.
Tuesday, Feb. 5 — Fly from Liberia to Chicago.
Meet Dr. Chuck Knapp, your Shedd Aquarium guide
Shedd Aquarium’s vice president of conservation and research, and Louis Family Conservation Chair for the Daniel P. Haerther Center for Conservation and Research, Dr. Chuck Knapp, is an expert in Caribbean iguanas and conservation science. Dr. Knapp’s extensive research has taken him to the Bahamas, Costa Rica and Dominica to study the ecology and implement conservation initiatives for endangered iguanas. Dr. Knapp has more than 15 years’ experience leading natural history and citizen science trips.
Your Journey Includes
• All ground transfers in air-conditioned motorcoach
• Flight between Quepos and Arenal on the main program
• Flight between San Jose and Palmar Sur on the pre-trip extension
• Superior accommodations throughout as indicated or similar
• Services of a local naturalist throughout the tour
• Shedd Aquarium escort with a minimum of 8 travelers
on the main and 10 travelers on the pre-trip extension
• All meals as indicated in the itinerary
• All park entry fees
• All applicable hotel and lodge taxes and gratuities
• Complimentary baggage tags and passport wallet
• 1 complimentary Sponsor level Shedd Aquarium membership per household
Relax in these plush accommodations.
Jan. 26 — Hotel Bougainvillea
Jan. 27-29 — Cuna Del Angel Hotel
Jan. 30-31 — Arenal Manoa Hotel
Feb. 1-2 — Fonda Vela
Feb. 3-4 — Cala Luna Hotel
For reservations and more information
Journey cost, per person
• $4,295 land-only, double occupancy
• $1,195 single-room supplement
• $1,100 estimated airfare from Chicago
Aquarium membership included with your adventure
Continue your connection with nature after you return home. Each household with a Shedd Adventures traveler receives a complimentary Sponsor-level Shedd Aquarium membership.
Other travel opportunities
This trip is only one of five offered through Shedd Adventures in 2013. See where else you could venture.