Assistant Guest Experience Manager
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to:
Manager, Human Resources
John G. Shedd Aquarium
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
Based on Shedd Aquarium’s commitment to the environment, electronic versions of resumes are preferred.
Title: Assistant guest experience manager
Status: Full-time, regular
Department: Guest Experience
Assists with the overall day-to-day operation of the Guest Experience and Sales department. Oversees Guest Experience lead staff, Guest Experience ambassadors and volunteers to ensure consistent high standards of customer service and efficient overall floor operations. Serves as a role model to the front-line staff leading by example. Communicates effectively with Guest Experience managers, Guest Engagement, Membership, Retail, Food Service, Security and Environmental Services supervisors on a daily basis to maximize the guest experience and overall building traffic flow.
• As a member of the department’s management team, the assistant manager will play a key role in creating a positive and nurturing team atmosphere both within the Guest Experience and Sales department. Responsibilities included oversight of the on-boarding process for all new employees, scheduling of employee training, creation and distribution of weekly schedules and daily post sheets, as well as completion of biweekly payroll.
• The assistant manager will work closely with the Guest Experience management team to ensure the department is prepared for each day’s business, including all aspects of floor set up. Seventy-fie percent of the assistant manager’s time will be spent on the floor working side-by-side with the Guest Experience ambassadors. The assistant manager will be assigned daily zones to ensure the highest level of customer service is being executed and all operational procedures are being followed. Communicates throughout the day with the Guest Experience and Sales team as well as all other guest contact departments and support department to ensure smooth day-to-day operations.
• Provides outstanding customer service by leading by example, through the execution of the Shedd service standards. Supervises staff, assists with training and development, counseling, appraisal and recognition. Maintains accurate staff attendance and behavior records and contributes to employee performance appraisal process.
• Has the ability to make decisions quickly and multitask on a minute-by-minute basis, while keeping entire operational picture in mind.
• Serves on aquarium teams as needed. Attends aquarium training as appropriate. Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: College degree preferred.
JOB EXPERIENCE: At least three years of experience in a high-volume customer-service environment. Previous experience supervising a diverse staff consisting of seasonal and regular staff is required. Previous cash-handling experience required.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS: Previous experience with Ticketmaster desirable. Experience with complex scheduling and payroll.
• Outstanding guest focus
• Ability to multitask, with strong attention to detail.
• Ability to work within a team environment as well as independently.
• Must be able to maintain confidential information.
• Must be willing to work varying schedule that includes weekends, nights and holidays.
• May be required to sit or stand for long periods of time.
• Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds
• Other duties as assigned.