Guest Experience Ambassador (part-time-temporary)
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to:
Manager, Human Resources
John G. Shedd Aquarium
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
Based on Shedd Aquarium’s commitment to the environment, electronic versions of resumes are preferred.
Title: Guest experience ambassador
Status: Part-time, temporary
Department: Guest Experience
As a guest experience ambassador you will be part of our guests’ total experience. Guest experience ambassadors can be the primary contact for all guest interaction within the aquarium. Each team member actively engages the guest, shares knowledge and information, and provides answers and solutions to guest concerns and questions. Operationally, the guest experience ambassadors monitor assigned areas for traffic flow and safety concerns. All team members act as role models for outstanding customer-service standards, both within the department and within the aquarium.
Shedd Ambassador Team Areas: The following positions are part of the guest experience ambassadors' area of responsibility.
• General aquarium greeting: Includes outside greeter, foyer greeter and accessible greeter
• Rotunda access point: Includes greeting guests, taking tickets and answering guests' questions.
• Upper Wild Reef access point and exhibit: Includes greeting guests, checking for wristbands, elevator monitoring and food control.
• 4-D Theater: Includes greeting guests, 4-D access point, movie operations, line control and 4-D glasses washing.
• Special Exhibits access point: Includes greeting guests and exhibit flow.
• Oceanarium mezzanine aquatic show access point: Includes greeting guests, taking tickets, show seating, food control and mezzanine flow.
Shedd Customer Service Expectations:
• Embrace and actively practice Shedd’s 4 FUNdamental customer-service standards on a daily basis:
1. Make a great first impression: Smile, uniform in order, eye contact.
2. Engage each guest: Greeting of “Hello!”, “How can I help you?”
3. Be the solution: “Let me show you where!” or “I will find the answer.”
4. Show pride in Shedd: Share Shedd stories with guests.
• Actively greet and welcome guests to the aquarium.
• Engage all guests while offering and selling appropriate ticketing options to best meet the needs of the guests.
• Make it a personal policy that no guest is left with an unanswered question or concern.
• Accurately input ticket information and balance all receipts at the end of each shift.
• Attend and actively participate in daily shift meetings.
• Education—high school diploma or equivalent.
• Job experience—retail, attraction, or customer-service experience in a high-volume environment. Previous Ticketmaster system or cash handling experience preferred.
• Special knowledge and skills—performance or theatrical background a plus. Fluency in multiple languages is also desirable.
• The guest experience must be the highest priority. Ambassadors must be outgoing, dynamic and enthusiastic and have reliable cash-handling track record or experience. Have the ability to multi-task, have good verbal and written communication and be friendly and personable to all; embracing the multicultural differences of our guests.
• This is a seasonal (or temporary) position to help with the busy spring break season. Positions will begin the first week in March 2013.