Sustainable Seafood: Arctic Char
Create a dish that's healthy for you and our planet.
Our Right Bite team chose farmed arctic char as August’s Fish of the Month because it’s on Shedd’s “best choice list” for sustainability. The recipe for grilled arctic char with eggplant and tomato salad uses a medley of summer’s best vegetables while keeping it simple. We think you’ll like it!
Before we jump into the recipe, here’s a bit more about our choice in fish. Arctic char is a delicious freshwater fish that is similar in taste to trout and salmon; they’re even in the same family! Most of the arctic char we eat comes from land-based farms in Europe and North America—a benefit to our environment because these onshore farms clean their wastewater, meaning less pollution than coastal salmon farms.
Try the recipe with your friends or family and leave a comment to let us know what you think!
Grilled Arctic Char with Eggplant and Tomato
4 4-oz. arctic char filets
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 small eggplant, sliced crosswise, skin on
3 medium heirloom tomatoes, different colors, sliced crosswise
½ cup fresh basil chiffonade
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
½ cup balsamic vinegar, reduced by half
1. Prepare charcoal grill or heat grill pan on stove over medium-high heat.
2. Brush each side of eggplant with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Grill about 5 minutes on each side, or until eggplant is soft and charred slightly. Remove to a plate and keep warm while you prepare the fish.
4. Brush fish with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
5. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side for medium-rare, depending on thickness of the fish.
6. Arrange eggplant and tomato slices on a plate, alternating colors. Place fish on top, drizzle with balsamic reduction and top with basil chiffonade.
—Kara Kotwas and Sam Bugg, Shedd Aquarium’s Right Bite team
Find out more about Right Bite
Learn how the seafood choices you make impacts the health of our waters worldwide.
Seafood wallet card
Download a Right Bite seafood wallet card to see which fisheries have overcome these issues and offer environmentally friendly seafood.
Sustainable Seafood videos
Watch how to make this sustainable seafood recipe and more on our YouTube channel.