Corporate Relations and Marketing Sponsorship Internship
To be considered for the internship program, please send all following information to:
John G. Shedd Aquarium
Attn: Internship Program
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
Internship Department: Development
Objective: The corporate relations and sponsorship intern will assist in the growth and development of a comprehensive corporate relations program designed to build long-term, multifaceted, collaborative partnerships with the corporate community. These include partnerships for the annual fund, marketing sponsorships, branding opportunities and special events.
• Assist in the development of project-specific letters, solicitation packets, proposals and fulfillment reports for annual partnerships and sponsorships
• Assist with solicitation packages (sponsorship, support, in-kind donations) for Board of Trustees gala and Auxiliary Society BLU
Marketing Partnerships and Sponsor Activation
• Assist with on-site sampling events as needed and requested by our sponsors
• Assist with additional marketing activation events with sponsors on-site
• Develop a competitive analysis of corporate philanthropy in Chicago as well as nationally.
• Help identify potential new corporate donors and marketing partnerships
• Support the corporate relations team by providing research briefs about the corporate community as it relates to corporate giving, sponsorships, innovations and trends.
• Assist in staffing after hours special events hosted by the development department, including fundraising events, cultivation events, member and partner events etc.
• Manage RSVP list and complete other duties as assigned
• Assist with data entry in updating corporate contacts in Raiser’s Edge
• File corporate correspondence
• Participate in facilitating corporate donor cultivation activities (i.e. behind-the-scenes tours)
• Provide additional support to the corporate relations team as requested.
• Create a journal with weekly documentation of your internship experience
• An overall corporate philanthropy analysis project (with recommendations) to be presented to senior leadership.
• A journal documenting the internship experience and professional development throughout the summer.
• A well-rounded understanding of corporate philanthropy and partnerships at a not-for-profit organization.
Qualifications: A motivated self-starter with the capacity to work independently while contributing to team projects as appropriate. Good communication skills (verbal and written), time-management and presentation skills are preferred. A desired candidate would have the ability to maintain confidentiality, be able to multi-task and have an interest in aquariums and zoos.
Proficient with Microsoft Office is a must. Experience with Raisers Edge is a plus! Should be able to occasionally lift items up to 50 pounds. Professional work ethic and demeanor is imperative.
Minimum GPA: Minimum 3.0 on a 4-point scale
Desired year in school: Enrolled as a junior or senior in an undergraduate program
Compensation: Unpaid. Interns must make arrangements with their schools to gain academic credit for this internship. Shedd Aquarium is happy to provide any work documentation necessary for this process.
Desired Majors: Business, economics, public/social service, sociology, or a related major/career field.
Time Commitment: Two to three days a week (set schedule will be determined based on intern availability). Occasional early mornings, nights, or weekends may be required.
Learning Potential: Experience working directly with Shedd’s development and marketing departments in all aspects of corporate philanthropy, branding and relationship building. Networking opportunities with various prospects, corporate partners, sister institutions and donors.
Connections to Shedd staff members and otherinterns through formal and informal trainings as well as mentorship opportunities.
To Apply: Print and complete the application packet available on our website. A list of required application documents is on the website.
If you have questions regarding this internship or our program, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall 2013: Sept. 15, or until the internship is filled