Volunteer Services Internship
The Volunteer Services intern will work closely with members of the Human Resources Department to gain a broad understanding of all aspects of volunteer recruiting, management and benefits, with a particular focus on the variety of opportunities available to our volunteers. The intern will gain exposure to a wide variety of departments that utilize volunteers, which span almost every department of Shedd Aquarium. The intern will collaborate with Volunteer Services staff on projects to improve and accurately reflect ongoing volunteer needs and positions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Demonstrate commitment to Shedd’s vision, mission and values.
• Act as friendly and engaging representative to all volunteers and interns entering the Volunteer Services Office.
• Maintain confidentiality.
• Interact with a diverse group of staff, volunteers, and interns.
• Speak and interact with groups of up to 20 individuals.
• Collaborate with volunteer supervisors in various departments to identify essential volunteer functions; review and update corresponding Volunteer Position Descriptions in a Word doc format.
• Review and recommend content changes on Shedd’s website that align with current volunteer opportunities; assist with communicating changes to staff.
• Observe interview process.
• Observe and participate in new volunteer orientation.
• Partner with Volunteer Services staff to create a portfolio of standard operating procedures and checklists related to daily operations.
Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program, studying Human Resources Management, Communications, Organization Development or something related. Previous internship or work experience interacting with volunteers helpful, but not required. A desirable candidate must be outgoing, work well with teams and independently, be able to multi-task, be detail-oriented, think creatively and effectively manage their time. A strong desire to learn about volunteer management in a not-for-profit setting.
Desired year in school: Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program
Desired Majors: Human Resources Management, Communications, Organization Development, or something related.
Time Commitment: Two to Three days a week; 15-20 hours weekly (set schedule will be determined based on intern availability). Flexibility within a Sunday-Thursday schedule preferred.
TO APPLY please submit the following materials to email@example.com:
- Completed application
- A cover letter
- A resume outlining your academic and professional experience
- Two (2) letters of recommendation