Plan a Visit
Hours and Calendar
Upcoming special hours:
Feb. 17: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Fall/winter hours, Sept. 3 to Memorial Day
9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays
9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturdays, Sundays and holidays
Regular summer hours
9 a.m. to 6 p.m. every day through Labor Day, Sept. 2.
Shedd Aquarium is open every day of the year except Christmas.
During One World: Make a Difference, you'll get up-close with some of your favorite Shedd animals, including sea lions, dolphins, beluga whales and even dogs.
Add to Shedd Pass on day of visit.
Our Caribbean Reef dive is the next best thing to getting in the water with the animals. You’ll find out more about sea turtle Nickel, the 7-foot moray eel, the pretty parrotfish and all the other reef residents during daily presentations.
Times: 10:30 a.m., noon, 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.
Included in the Shedd Pass.
Tips for a Great Visit
• Visit early or plan to end your day at Shedd.
• Buy your tickets in advance to avoid waiting in line to get in.
• Discover our wide-open spaces behind the scenes! Register for one of our extraordinary experiences, like a beluga encounter, penguin encounter, Trainer for a Day, or behind-the-scenes tour.
• Dress for comfort.
• If you’re traveling with a toddler, use an umbrella stroller. It’s easier than larger models for negotiating exhibits and elevators.
• Take public transportation to the aquarium. It's cheaper than driving and parking, and the CTA delivers you almost to our door.
• Plan your visit with one of our self-guided Ten Fun Finds tours. Concentrate on several select exhibits rather than rushing to “do” the whole aquarium.
• Take breaks! Shedd's aquatic show and the 4-D Experience give you a chance to sit down.
• Don’t miss our live dives and chats. Check the schedule in the main foyer when you arrive.
See Shedd from the perspective of our animal care staff during a 50-minute guided behind-the-scenes tour. At the animal healthcare center, you’ll see how preventive care and innovative water-quality practices keep the animals healthy. Then you’ll go behind the galleries to view the aquarium from a new angle, see where nutritious meals are prepared for some of our 32,500 animals and witness Shedd Aquarium at work. Participants must be 55 inches or taller. Children must be at least 10 years old. Children ages 10 to 15 must be accompanied by a participating adult.
Tours are available all year long on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays
at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
From the last week in June through Labor Day weekend, tours are offered daily at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
Behind-the-Scenes Tour and Admission Package
Includes a behind-the-scenes tour, express entry and admission to all exhibits, a ticket to the aquatic show and the special exhibit, Jellies.
Prices: $51.95 for adults, $41.95 for children
Each tour is limited to 10 people.
Book your reservation online.
Participating guests should meet at the Guest Services Suite on the day of their visit.
Please note: Photography and video recording are not permitted behind the scenes.
Please review our refund and cancellation policy.
Skip the lines and save
Avoid waiting in line, and get up to 50 percent off admission to Chicago's top five attractions (including Shedd) with CityPASS.